Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 28, 2013

A few bumps in the road of action research....


As the craziness of the beginning of the new school year is finally starting to subside a little, I'm now really starting to kick my action research plan into full swing.  I do have one issue going on that I'm currently dealing with.  Hopefully it's just a little bump in the road and  will be resolved soon.  When I originally wrote my plan, I was at a school that had a great tracking system for behavior and specifically could track how many instances of bullying and harassment were reported daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly.  When I transferred to my new school, my site supervisor originally thought that my same plan would work for my new school setting.  The plan was approved.  But now that we actually started to accumulate the data from last year and analyze it, it is just not working out.  The system at this school is different and we are having trouble getting the specific data needed.  My site supervisor / assistant principal wants me to use survey type data, which I have already taken, rather than the more formal data like originally planned.  I agree with him and still think that this will give me an accurate picture of whether or not my work is a success.  I need to get formal approval on this, though I am unsure of who to get permission from.  I have sought permission from my IA who referred me to my Field Supervisor, who is unsure of whom I should get formal permission from.     This is the task that I am working on researching now, though I am a little confused and unsure what to do next.  THIS WORRIES ME!!!  Other than the data, I am working hard on my project and implementing weekly character education discussions and activities into my ELA class lessons.  The students are responding well, participating actively and overall enjoying the lessons.  The students will be surveyed monthly and data will be compiled soon for the first month to see if any change has been noted so far. I'm quite curious of what the results will show in the next few months and anxious to see changes starting to happen!  I don't expect much change yet, other than kids being more aware.  I know it will take time.  I'm hoping that by Christmas, there will be drastic changes made and students will be treating each other better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment